MA Applied Anthropology Finances & Awards

Tuition for continuing students (students who started in the polit program, prior to Fall 2024) is as previous, through CEEGE on a per-unit basis.

Tuition and costs for future new students are described on this financial aid webpage.

Students will also be responsible for typical program-related costs such as books, travel + housing for the orientation, research-related costs, and computing/internet needs.

If desired, students may apply to Humboldt Housing + Dining services to explore on and off-campus housing options.

Graduate Financial Aid

Stu­dents are encour­aged to con­tact the Humboldt Financial Aid office for infor­ma­tion about avail­able grants, loans, schol­ar­ships and work study. Graduate students are advised to directly contact the graduate student financial aid liaison, Maria-Elena Whaples at (707) 826-5373, or

Also check out the Graduate Studies financial aid page.

Please be sure to fill out a FAFSA (see the FAFSA website for application details and deadlines) – it is recommended that you complete each year's FAFSA the Priority Deadline indicated on the FAFSA website to maintain eligibility for all scholarships/work study possibilities.

Note: Financial aid eligibility is reassessed when student status changes from undergraduate to graduate student. Students that utilize all of their undergraduate eligibility during the academic year that they start the program may have additional eligibility as MA students. Graduate students are eligible for financial aid if they are enrolled in at least 5-units.  Please contact the Humboldt Financial Aid office for infor­ma­tion.

Types of Graduate Support & Recognition

Student loans – Please contact the Humboldt Financial Aid office.

Work Study – Students that qualify for financial aid, such as loans, are often also eligible for Federal Work Study and Graduate Student Federal Work Study. These are attractive alternatives to student loans, because students gain work experience and lessen debt.  Students awarded work study can obtain positions across campus –  positions are also occasionally available in the Anthropology Department on a limited basis. To apply for work study, please contact the Humboldt Financial Aid office.

Scholarships, Fellowships, Awards & Honors – Graduate Studies maintains a list of fellowships and scholarships broadly available to Humboldt graduate students.  Students must complete a FAFSA on time to be eligible for scholarships and fellowships. In particular, please note these opportunities:

  • Alistair & Judith McCrone Graduate Fellowship Award – The Anthropology faculty as a group will nominate one full-time first-year graduate student, based on academic merit and performance in the program to date. Nomination decisions are generally made at the end of the first fall semester in the program, and nomination materials are submitted by the faculty and nominee at the beginning of the Spring semester. During late Spring, a reception will be held to recognize the nominees and announce the recipient of the award.
  • Graduate Equity Fellowship Award – for information see the SASOP homepage. Also see SASOP links
  • Annual CSU Student Research Competition – This competition is held to promote excellence in undergraduate and graduate scholarly research and creative activity by recognizing outstanding student accomplishments throughout the twenty-three campuses of the California State University.  Each campus will select up to ten entries to send to the final round at a CSU campus. The Office of Research, Economic & Community Development will reimburse up to $500 to partially offset travel costs for each student selected to represent Humboldt. The deadline to enter projects for the Humboldt competition is usually early Spring of the applicable year – view the full Humboldt Competition Rulesand alert your advisor and the graduate coordinator if you would like to enter the competition.
  • Patricia O. McConkey Outstanding Graduate Student (Graduation with Distinction) – The Anthropology faculty as a group will nominate one graduating MA student each year based on academic merit, academic/peer service, and quality of thesis research. Nominations will be made mid-Spring for a student that is graduating that Spring (May) or that graduated the preceding Fall or Summer term.

Humboldt Anthropology Scholarships and Teaching Assistantships

  • Scholarships – In some semesters, Humboldt Anthropology Department offers a limited number of scholarships to new and continuing Master’s students, usually enough to cover partial tuition costs in the semester granted. These awards are based on any of the following criteria: academic merit, diversity, need, and/or implications of intended research. Students wanting to be considered should prepare one “Anth Scholarship Application Letter” (300 words maximum – open format) describing qualifications in one or more of the criteria. When scholarships are available for a given semester, students will be notified and asked to submit an application letter - in general, this will be by December 15 for the directly upcoming Spring semester, and by April 15 for the directly upcoming Fall semester. When requested, email your letter (as a PDF or word doc) to the Graduate Coordinator at In the file name and letter, please indicate the term for which you are applying. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the letter of application is received by the deadline and within the word limitations. Important note: This “Anth Scholarship Application Letter” is ONLY for Humboldt Anthropology Department Scholarships – it will not constitute eligibility or application to any non-departmental awards, such as those listed on the Graduate Studies website or offered through financial aid. Please be sure to apply to other opportunities separately.  Students must complete a FAFSA to be eligible for these awards.

Other Humboldt Positions – Additional Humboldt positions available to students are posted on the website of Humboldt Academic Personnel Services .

External Funding – Students are encouraged to seek external scholarships, fellowships, and grants. Faculty work with students to review and support any such applications.

Contact Us

Gordon Ulmer, Ph.D.
Anthropology Graduate Coordinator

Marissa Ramsier, Ph.D.
Anthropology Department Program Leader

Graduate Admissions
Phone: 707.826.6250

Humboldt Graduate Studies
Phone: 707.826.3949